Date: 21st November 2010 at 11:55am
Written by:

Substitute Jonathan Tehoue saved Leyton Orient and Russell Slade’s blushes with two late strikes to earn a 2-2 draw for the O’s with Bournemouth.

Before the arrival of Tehoue the O’s had looked unlikely to get anything from the day after two good Bournemouth goals had put the away side firmly in control.

The Cherries showed why they are battling at the top of the table after only two minutes. Marc Pugh cut inside with Elliot Omozusi over-run in defence and thundered a superb 25-yard shot past O’s debutant keeper Jason Brown. It was not the start Brown or the O’s had planned.

Orient’s best chance to level came after nine minutes when veteran striker Scott McGleish only found the crossbar after a good O’s move. Scotty’s dinked effort looked destined for the net and would have given Orient a route back into the game straight away.

Bournemouth’s energy and fluidity was proving a real problem for the O’s and Orient struggled to get any foothold in the game.

The home side started with a 4-5-1 formation for the majority of the first-half and the set-up seemed to be hindering the O’s players. Alex Revell looked ineffective on the right whilst despite a positive start, Dean Cox was over-run just behind struggling lone strike McGleish.

Late into the first period Slade finally decided to change to a 4-4-2, moving Cox to the right and Revell upfront. But before Orient had any chance of a comeback, Bournemouth had taken a two goal lead.

Just like they had struck early in the first-half, Bournemouth found the net early in the second period. Pugh latched onto a through pass and prodded the ball home past Brown. After a frustrating first-period and the early setback, an O’s comeback looked highly unlikely.

The home side’s only real threat was that of on-loan Paul-Jose Mpoku on the left-wing. He once again terrorised the opposition’s defenders with his brilliant skills. The ball often looked like it was stuck on the foot on Mpoku but unfortunately for the O’s no-one could profit from Mpoku’s attacking threat.

Tehoue entered the game on 61 minutes and after a slow start he and Orient finally got going about five minutes from time. Firstly the French striker latched onto a cross and powered to the byline. The ball look destined to go out by Tehoue’s speed meant the ball stayed in and Tehoue slotted home past Bournemouth keeper Jon Stewart.

Orient suddenly had a chance and with the crowd willing them forward, Tehoue powered past Bournemouth defender Marvin Bartley in the 92nd minute and finished past Stewart.

Orient are now unbeaten in seven games at Brisbane Road and move four points clear of the relegation zone in 18th.

It was an unlikely comeback and far from an impressive display from the O’s but the two late goals from Tehoue earned Orient a point, but it felt like a victory.
O’s manager Russell Slade told
‘It was a difficult game because they scored early on against us and put us on the back foot,

‘Conceding a second right at the start of the second half was a killer blow, but we’ve shown great character to hang on in there, be really plucky and get a result.

‘Jonathan had a tremendous impact and that’s what I wanted. He’s working really hard in training. He’s putting that in and it’s starting to pay off now. He’s looking stronger, he’s looking fitter and we saw that today.’

What did you think of yesterday’s result and performance? Leave your thoughts below…

Join The Vital Debate