Date: 16th October 2006 at 7:38pm
Written by:

Orient were denied their first away victory by a last minute penalty as Oldham came from behind twice to earn a rather undeserved 3-3 draw. The O`s had led through strikes from Jabo Ibehre and Gary Alexander before four minutes of madness saw Oldham draw level thanks to a brace from Chris Porter. The O`s then managed to regain the lead with just four minutes to go through Alexander`s second of the game before Andy Liddell converted a penalty four minutes into injury time to deny Orient their first away win of the season.

Orient started with purpose and intent against their high ranked opposition and soon had Oldham on the back foot. The pace and power of Alexander and Ibehre gave the Latics defence all sorts of problems and the O`s soon found themselves ahead after outfoxing the Oldham rearguard. Jabo Ibehre, who was a constant thorn in the Latics defence all afternoon, headed on for Gary Alexander and having found space on the right hand side, Alexander slipped the ball across for Ibehre to slot home.

The O`s looked good value for their lead as Orient looked a completely different side to the one that had succumbed so easily on each of their away trips so far this season. Oldham enjoyed possession but rarely threatened Glyn Garner`s goal as Clayton Fortune and John Mackie coped relatively easily with the dangerous Chris Porter.

Orient looked set to double their advantage as Alexander and Ibehre continued to give the hosts a troublesome afternoon. The O`s midfield was looking far more composed and assured in possession whilst Simpson and Chambers harried and chased in the middle of the park as Oldham failed to get a grip on proceedings. The O`s had taken charge and should have scored a second midway through the first half.

Peter Till, who has impressed since joining on loan from Birmingham, got down the right hand side and crossed quite beautifully for Alexander to head towards goal. The ball seemed destined for the net but Pogliacomi managed to get a hand on the ball before miraculously saving the follow up effort from Michael Simpson. The goal would have been a fair reflection as Orient had bossed the game for the first forty five minutes with the home side looking nothing more than an average outfit.

The second half started slowly as neither team managed to find their rhythm, although the home side did force a flurry of corners. However, it was the visitors that extended their lead just before the hour mark with a quality finish from Gary Alexander. Adam Chambers controlled a long ball from Peter Till before playing in the O`s striker to fire across Pogliacomi and into the back of the net.

It looked like it was game, set and match for the O`s after they had completely outfought and outplayed their hosts for the majority of the game. The third goal that would have killed the game as a contest was also on offer as Orient came within a whisker of grabbing that decisive goal. Gary Alexander, who had already scored once came close again as his header rebounded off the crossbar following a superb ball into the box from Till.

That miss was to prove costly for the O`s as Oldham somehow found a way back into the game whilst most of the home fans headed for the exits. Chris Porter, who had been quiet all afternoon, stole in at the far post to nod past Garner after a cross from the left hand side. It was a soft goal for the O`s to concede and they were soon rocked again as the Latics drew level.

The equaliser came just four minutes later and was another Porter header as the Oldham front man beat Clayton Fortune to the ball after Liddell had whipped the ball into the box. The goal, which should never have occurred had Matt Lockwood cleared his line properly, managed to reinvigorate the Latics whilst the O`s looked visibly shattered.

Yet, Orient had other ideas and having regrouped, Gary Alexander led his side in sight of victory as he ran on to a long ball over the top to lash the ball past the Oldham ‘keeper. The goal sent the O`s fans into raptures and the players celebrated with gusto in front of the travelling faithful. The O`s only had to negotiate the four minutes of injury time to pick up their first away win, but yet again they were denied.

Richie Wellens found himself in on goal and having got his shot away, then turned to protest that he had been held back by Justin Miller. Miller certainly did have hold of something but there was a feeling that had the incident occurred at the other end then a penalty would not have been awarded.

Mr Lewis decided that is was a foul and Andy Liddell stepped up to fire the ball home and send Glyn Garner the wrong way. It was a real choker for Orient who led 2-0 with just twelve minutes to go and 3-2 with four minutes to go, and now sit bottom of League One having not won since August 12th.