Date: 2nd September 2013 at 9:55am
Written by:

The O’s achieved history on Saturday as they won their fifth league match on the bounce at the beginning of a season for the first time ever.

David Mooney and Kevin Lisbie were once again on target as the O’s sealed a tense 2-1 victory over Colchester United.

The visitors started brightly with David Mooney forcing an early corner which Mathieu Baudry headed over.

The next moment fell to the hosts after Craig Eastmond laid the ball to Sanchez Watt whose curling effort was well parried by Jamie Jones.

In the 13th minute the O’s made the breakthrough.

A long kick from Jones fell into the path of Dean Cox, who cleverly lobbed the ball onto Mooney. With a supreme first touch, the Irishman controlled the ball then smashed it with his second touch pass Sam Walker in the Colchester goal.

Orient sat back on their lead and allowed the U’s to get a grip of the contest.

And they were made to pay ten minutes from the break as a former Orient player Jabo Ibehre equalised.

Colchester almost grabbed a lead before the break with Watt going close with a powerful effort.

Into the second period and the O’s created some early chances involving winger Dean Cox. Firstly his cross was headed wide by Mooney, before he nearly got on the end of a dangerous Moses Odubajo cross.

Cox was to play a big role as the O’s got their winner.

Elliot Omozusi played the ball to Cox on the left, whose run and first time cross was met at the far post by Kevin Lisbie to the delight of the Orient crowd behind the goal.

The home side once again upped their performance as they attempted to come back for a second time from a goal behind.

Colchester had a goal disallowed as Jabo Ibehre was given offside as the ball rolled to him with an empty goal beckoning.

Clinton Morrison then had a chance fly over the O’s goal with ten minutes to go.

But the U’s weren’t finished yet and felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Drew Wright was challenged by Scott Cuthbert, but referee Woolmer ignored their protests.

Into injury time, Orient had a glorious opportunity to seal the victory in style.

From a clearance inside the Orient box, Shaun Batt ran onto the loose ball with U’s goalkeeper Walker on the half way line. He ran with the ball but decided to shoot from 35 yards, only to see his long range effort roll wide of an empty goal.

That was the last piece of action as Orient held on to pen their place in the record books.

Join Vital Leyton Orient

It’s easy to REGISTER HERE, simply click the link and enjoy getting involved!

Do you want to write about Orient and share your opinions, if so CLICK HERE

Vital Orient on:facebook

Vital Orient on:twitter

Join The Vital Debate