Date: 8th April 2013 at 5:29pm
Written by:

Relegation threatened Colchester United gave themselves a massive boost in their hopes of survival as they claimed a vital win against Leyton Orient.

The defeat sees the O`s hopes of reaching the top six dashed after a woeful first 30 minutes when they could have easily been more than just two goals down.

The U`s started with more desire than the visitors and put a makeshift Orient backline under immense pressure. Clinton Morrison had the best early opportunity but he blasted his shot well over.

With 20 minutes gone the hosts got their reward. Ex-O Jabo Ibehre played a part, he won the ball and ran clean through the middle of the orient half before laying the ball off to Bradley Garmston who whipped in the perfect ball for Gavin Massey to head home.

The visitors were shell-shocked and were punished again four minutes later. Drew Wright started a move down Orient`s left flank which was not dealt with. The ball eventually made its way to Morrison in the penalty area where he found Wright whose deflected shot lobbed over Jamie Jones into the goal.

With such a horrendous start, the O`s had to fight back, but struggled to gain a foothold on the game. However seven minutes from the break, the visitors got a lifeline. A clever lob from Dean Cox set Kevin Lisbie away one-on-one with Sam Walker in the U`s goal. Lisbie coolly slotted the ball past Walker to give the O`s hope.

The second period was a frustrating for Orient despite much pressure they were unable to breakthrough a stubborn Colchester defence. And the hosts themselves created a great chance to finish off the match as a contest. Ibehre was sent through on goal, but his cross angled shot missed the far post by inches.

Russell Slade`s men were spending large periods of time in the Colchester half, but lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. Numerous corners and free kicks came and went for the O`s as any real clear chances failed to materialised.

As hopes of a equaliser appeared to be fading, Orient were given a golden chance to equalise. Shaun Batt cleverly stepped over a superb pass from Martin Rowlands which fooled Garmston and Batt began his charge into the penalty area. Garmston hacked the Millwall loanee down in the box and the Referee had no choice but to point to the spot.

Up stepped Lisbie who rolled the ball towards the bottom left corner, but was denied by the impressive Walker in the Colchester goal.

Orient pushed desperately in the final 10 minutes in an attempt to ignore Lisbie`s penalty miss, but the hosts held firm as they claimed a valuable three points in their survival bid, whilst Orient`s play-off bid was now left in tatters.

Join Vital Leyton Orient

It’s easy to REGISTER HERE, simply click the link and enjoy getting involved!

Do you want to write about Orient and share your opinions, if so CLICK HERE

Vital Orient on:facebook

Vital Orient on:twitter

Join The Vital Debate