Date: 3rd November 2010 at 2:16pm
Written by:

Leyton Orient`s inability to win away from home was evident again last night as the O`s threw away a two goal lead to lose 3-2 at Colchester.

Two early goals from striker Alex Revell had given the O’s a shock lead after only 18 minutes but Colchester replied through Matt Heath, a David Mooney penalty and Brian Wilson to snatch the points away from Orient.

Despite a positive start from the home side it was Orient who went in-front. Revell headed home from Dean Cox’s free kick after 10 minutes, giving the O’s an early lead and something to build from.

And thats exactly what the away side did only eight minutes later, Revell getting his second when he tapped home Charlie Daniels’ cross. Revell’s goals and hard work are proving to be a real asset for the team.

But Orient’s apparent problems when trying to defend leads cost them dear again when four minutes later Colchester snatched a route back into the game.

Heath pounced when the O’s defence failed to clear the ball in the box, a costly mistake that should have been avoided by those in a red shirt.

Debutant Andrew Whing was then caught out for Colchester’s second. He brought down Ashely Vincent after being outpaced by the winger and the referee awarded a penalty.

Mooney smashed the ball past Lee Butcher to level the scores in the 32nd minute. Despite looking solid for most of the game, Whing’s worrying lack of pace was exposed too easily by Vincent.

Despite conceding their two goal lead Orient did fight to find a third, Cox came close but was let down by a heavy touch in the first-half whilst Whing nearly made up for conceding the penalty but his shot was blocked off the line after the break.

The O’s could have also had a penalty themselves when Adam Chambers went over in the box but the referee ignored Orient’s appeals.

But when Colchester`s second goal hit the net there was almost a sense of inevitably when it came to the home side finding a third. And it finally came in the 80th minute when Wilson fired a 28-yard free kick past Butcher.

Conceding a goal and more points from another set piece (happened most recently at Swindon) will be worrying for Slade who needs to sure up the O’s defence.

The only small positive to take from this result is that, like at Swindon, we have managed to score two away goals. We again played some nice periods of football, passing the ball well and creating enough chances (as was the case at Swindon and also in the defeat at Sheffield Wednesday).

But unfortunately for the O’s that means very little when you throw the lead and valuable points away.

The disappointment of losing a two goal lead means this result has to be seen as two points lost for Slade and the O’s, pushing the team back a place to 19th in the npower League 1 table.

O’s manager Russell Slade told
‘We got ourselves into a great position and we’ve blown it to a certain extent.

‘We’ve got to learn from tonight’s experience, as we have done at home how to win a football match.

‘We need to know that when we’re in a situation like we were, we need to play a little bit more from the back, keep the ball and move it. We didn’t do that until it went to two each.’

What did you think of result? Leave your thoughts below…

Join The Vital Debate