Date: 16th September 2013 at 1:02pm
Written by:

Kevin Lisbie`s stunning late solo strike was enough in a tight and tense affair at Brisbane Road to ensure the O`s kept their 100% record in League One.

Lisbie, who had been unusually quiet in the match, stepped up when it counted as he lashed in a fierce effort after a clever run into the box. It was harsh on the visiting team who showed glimpses of real quality and more than match their higher ranked opponents.

The visitors began the brighter in the early stages of the contest with wide men Jefferson Myrie Williams and Kaid Mohamed creating themselves some space which was causing the Orient defence early concerns.

But the home team with their direct style of play were creating their own problems for the Port Vale defence who were struggling to deal with the in-form Mooney. The Irishman nearly created and scored a stunning individual effort but saw his curling effort tipped over the crossbar by Valiants keeper Chris Neal.

But with just over 20 minutes gone the visitors took the lead to send the O`s behind for the first time in the league this season.

A Vale corner was not dealt with properly by the Orient defence and it rolled to the right hand edge of the box to Tom Pope who delivered a challenging ball which Jamie Jones could only parry into the path of Louis Dodds who headed home into an empty net.

The O`s appeared to be struggling at a soggy Brisbane Road but were able to strike back almost instantaneously through controversial circumstances. The ball was lofted into the Vale box by Dean Cox to Mooney who appeared to be offside, which was given by the linesman but the referee allowed play to go on allowing Mooney to smash the ball home to equalise.

As the rain eased, Orient lifted their performance with Moses Odubajo firing over from close range. Into injury time, the contest appeared to be heading to the break level but Romain Vincelot had other ideas. His surging run and clever chip cross into the area was perfectly met by Irishman Mooney who fired past Neal with virtually the last kick off the half.

However Vale weren’t going away quickly and fought back in style. The Valiants attacked from the left hand side and found Doug Loft whose cross on the left edge of the looped dangerously. Jones couldn`t quite get a clean connection and pushed the ball into the path of Myrie-Williams who punished the O`s defence with a thunderous blast from six yards out.

The home side now seeking a winner pushed on with Dean Cox who perhaps should have done better with an effort deep inside the penalty area. Both he and Substitute Shaun Batt had further efforts but both were dealt with as the tension rose at Brisbane Road.

With 13 minutes to go Vale almost won it. Myrie-Williams curling free kick beat the desperate dive of Jones but cannoned of the crossbar to the frustration of the 400 plus away following.

Kaid Mohamed then had a further glorious chance after he won the ball in the centre circle, but his run could not be matched by the finish as he dragged his low effort wide.

The game was getting bitty as Orient seemed to be growing in frustration. But with two minutes left on the clock Kevin Lisbie struck to send the near 4,500 home faithful into delirium.

Port Vale desperately tried to claw an equaliser back in the five minutes of injury time but the O`s held onto to make six wins from six.

Join Vital Leyton Orient

It’s easy to REGISTER HERE, simply click the link and enjoy getting involved!

Do you want to write about Orient and share your opinions, if so CLICK HERE

Vital Orient on:facebook

Vital Orient on:twitter

Join The Vital Debate